This is my way of jazzing up the boring ol’ beans. It’s so yummy, even the fussiest eaters will love it.
- 3 cups honey beans
- 1/2 cup palm oil
- 2 tbsp ground crayfish
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6-8 tomatoes, chopped
- Scotch bonnet chilies (to taste), chopped
- 1 cup sliced ugu leaves
- Seasoning cubes
- Pour the beans into a tray and pick out any dirt and stones from the seeds.
- Rinse the beans thoroughly with clean water and transfer to a deep cooking pot.
- Add enough water to cover the beans; boil for 10-15mins, then drain and rinse the beans again.
- Put the beans back into the pot, add enough water to completely cover the beans, and cook on medium heat till the bean seeds are soft. You can test for softness by pressing one of the seeds between your fingers: if it mashes easily, it is cooked.
- Pour the palm oil into a dry pan and place over medium heat, add the chopped onion and fry till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and pepper and fry for about 3-5 mins or until the moisture content is reduced.
- Next, add the cooked beans, seasoning cubes, salt, and crayfish; mix and add your ugu leaves. Turn off the heat after a further 3 minutes.